Friday, July 4, 2008

Anyone who knows me, and probably those who don't as well, are aware of the fact that I am a very...happy person What really happens is that I don't let other people see when I am anything but happy, because it would cause them to worry about me. I don't want to burden other people with me feelings, so I have become very good at controlling my emotions...or so I thought. Little did I know that my emotions would send me to the hospital.

It wasn't that I was out of control, I just wasn't controlled enough.

I was standing in my living room talking to someone, listening rather, about an event that had recently taken place, and what the consequences of that event would be. Suddenly, I felt dizzy, so I decided to sit down. Sitting down did not help, however, and I could no longer hear who was speaking, or what they were saying. I fainted into the chair.

After about a minute, I regained consciousness, took a shower, and proceeded to get ready for another bothersome visit to the ER. I was just thankful that I was able to walk, because last time, I was wheeled in in a wheelchair, and the receptionist asked how far along I was in my pregnancy. Needles to say I wasn't exactly thrilled that she thought I was pregnant. So I registered, took a pager, and sat down to wait. And wait. And wait. Actually, as far as waits go, this one was not particularly long, but hospitals bore me, as I have spent much time there, so I contented myself with watching the people around me. Its amazing what you can see when you are not looking at yourself.

After approximately 6 or 7 hours of waiting, tests and random doctors and nurses coming in to update me on my "progress," I found out that I have a weak vagal nerve which reacts under pressure, or, in layman's terms, I faint easily. And I also have sinusitis, which was not a monumental surprise to me.

And so, my adventure, if you could call it that, ended with instructions to take some medication for the sinusitis and get some rest, as well as some fairly decent sketches.

Now the question of the day, or rather the week, is thus:
Do we control our emotions, or do they control us?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Molly,

You wouldnt know this since you dont know me...but I struggle with having my emotions control me.
I want very much to change and I am trying ...but its a slow process.
I dont want to be a slave to my emotions...ugh

Millie